North Carolina and Charlotte are a hotbed of contestants for American Idol. North Carolina is prominent for housing Pepsi and Krispy Kreme Donuts, but recently American Idol turned on the talent light over the state, bringing out the most winners.
- At 17 years, McCreery, Garner native Scotty, won American Idol season 10 and then has released three albums and has sold in total over 2.6 million records.
- Now there is a book from the 22-year –old McCreery, ‘Go Big or Go Home: The Journey Toward the Dream’, to release soon.
- Fantasia Barrino in season three took the title ranking five in album sales. She was also one of the contest participants of American Idol making a sale of 3.5 million albums. Barrino performed in a Lifetime TV movie and on Broadway. The NC native won many awards after she was crowned ‘American Idol’ and also this includes a Grammy.
- Caleb Johnson was the Season 12 winner, and her album scored a sale of 26,000 copies after the show. This Ashville native released ‘Holding on’ a new single.
- Chris Daughtry in Season five finished 4th and tops non-winners of all other ‘American Idol’ in album sales by selling over 9 million copies. Recently, Daughtry portrayed in live broadcast Judas on Fox “The Passion”.
- Albemarle’s Kellie Pickler was behind Daughtry in two spots taking the 5th season in sixth place and sold over 2 million albums. Currently, she and her husband have come up with “I love Kellie Pickler,” a reality show for a second season renewed.
Return of American Idol
The show went on a break for a while. However, “American Idol” came back after a hiatus of two years, but this time it was on a new network. In the original 15-season show run on Fox, it was North Carolina that put out three winners. Fantasia Barrino in 2004, Garner’s Scotty McCreery followed in 2011, and for the year 2014, it was Asheville’s, Caleb Johnson. There are more feathers to the North Carolina cap, Ruben Studdard of 2003’s and Taylor Hicks of 2006’s. No other state has witnessed so many winners. North Carolina perfectly fits with the audience watching American Idol, and a lot of votes come from the state, according to previous winners.
McCreery also believed that North Carolina has talented folks in lots coming out. McCreery even snagged one of the top spots of the Billboard country chart for the No. 1 single and set to release “Five More Minutes”; his latest album. There is no doubt that there is dominance on American Idol contest of North Carolina and they have been proving to be impressive considering even those who lost but took to solid careers. Clay Aiken, Season 2 runner-up, ran for Congress and competed Donald Trump’s “The Apprentice,” that is all-time top “Idol” album sellers in fourth place, standing in a position two spots ahead of Studdard, the 2003 winner. Putting it all together, there is no doubt that North Carolina has created 3 winners of American Idols, in 15 seasons.